Tuesday, June 2, 2020

The Impact of Racism from an Immigrant Prospective

                                                                 


While growing up in Jamaica, I never heard anything negative about the United States (US).  All the stories that I heard about the US were positive ones. All the people I knew who came to this country to live would come back and tell us stories about their good life. They placed this country on a pedestal. I heard about the well-paved roads, the subway, the skyscrapers, the availability of jobs, affordable food and clothes, and the opportunity to attend college if you choose to attend one.

We could see the economic changes in the people who came to live in the US. People who could not afford to build a house and own a car could now have those necessities that were far-fetched before they came here. Not one time did I hear about racism in this country from the people who would come back to visit Jamaica. Based on what we were told about the US, many of us wanted the opportunity to come here.

Finally, my family and I had the opportunity to come to the US. My expectations were high coming here. I had a love for this country and the people long before I came here. My love for this country started from the positive stories that I heard about this great country. Therefore, can you imagine how devastated I was when my family and I experienced many actions of racism due to systemic racism in this country?

My family and I were racially profiled many times. I feared for my husband's life when police officers drew guns on him one night as he exited his car after reaching home from a 3-11 shift from his second job. I have been called the N-word in my own home by a white woman who claimed that she was seeking daycare for her child who called people this word. I have heard a teacher say that she could say that word in her class because of the course she teaches. I have been disrespected at work by patients and their families solely because of my skin color. I have been underpaid and overworked, although I was qualified for my job.

Over the years, I have bottled up all the feelings from living in a society that treats me and other people of color less than how they, the dominant group, treat themselves. In recent days of racial unrest, all the pent-up feelings came flooding to the surface. I feel traumatized by the systemic racism and the senseless killing of unarmed black men and women.

Has this country been good to my family and me? Absolutely. My family and I have thrived in this country. We can do things we would not be able to do in Jamaica. I will always love this country and its people; however, it is time for the leaders of this country to create policies that will serve all people. It is full-time to treat everyone with acceptance, compassion, and respect. The education, healthcare, and justice systems should benefit all people fairly. It is time for organizations to employ qualified people of color and pay them fairly. Our leaders must acknowledge that all people are humans and have similar fundamental needs.

I believe in this country and that the deep-rooted pain caused by systemic racism will be acknowledged, and policies will be created and implemented to serve all people. I believe people of color will be accepted and heard just like the dominant group. I think that this great country will do what is suitable for all citizens so that the future of everyone will be brighter and better.

May God bless the United States of America!


No comments:

Post a Comment