Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Academic Journey of Dr. Joy Seymour

                                                    Photo Credit: Grad Images


I am very thankful to God and my support team that I have earned my EdD in Educational Leadership. My educational journey started many years ago in St Mary, Jamaica. My favorite courses were Language Arts, Mathematics, Health Science, History, and Religious Education. I loved all those subjects; however, my top two courses were Language Arts and Health Science. My love for reading books was significant in my life. Growing up in St Mary, I read hundreds of books as a child and teenager. During the nights, I completed my homework using kerosene oil lamps because we had no electricity in the house as a child. I grew up without indoor plumbing. We had an outhouse (latrine) and a detached kitchen. My home had running water when I was about 12 or 13. Despite what seems like an inconvenience now, I was happy living with my family, and I worked hard as part of the family and studied my schoolwork to be successful in passing the examinations that would qualify me to attend the Mico College University, where I studied Primary Education (Elementary Education). In Jamaica, I taught students in early childhood and primary education institutions.

After migrating to the United States (US), I literally restarted my educational journey. In the US, I completed the following academic programs: CNA: Certificate, Liberal Arts: AA, Practical Nursing: AAS, Registered Nurse: BSN, Nursing Education: MSN, and Educational Leadership: EdD. My academic journey was challenging; however, it was worth it. I am successful by the grace of God and lots of support from my family, relatives, friends, coworkers, church members, and professors. 

I am very grateful for the many opportunities I received in the US. I took each opportunity seriously and worked to the best of my abilities. There were times when I felt I would not be able to complete my degrees; however, I kept working to the best of my abilities at every task. During my academic journey, I experienced personal illnesses and had to help care for sick family members. I experienced the bereavement of seven relatives in 2021, and between 2021 and 2022, I lost three of my friends: One of my friends was like a sister to me. We grew up in the same district and lived near each other. Although I experienced grief, pain, and other stressors due to tiredness, illnesses, and sleeplessness, with the help of God and my support teams, I can say that I am an overcomer. Therefore, I give God all the glory and praise for what He has done for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment