Friday, December 24, 2010

Learning to Let Go

For the very first time in our lives on Christmas Day my husband and I will be home without our children. I must say this time is a bit sad for me but I must face reality. Our children are grown and are living their own lives. Both our children live some distances from us and one works on Christmas Day and the other will be coming home the day after Christmas. I know that this time of year will never be the same as before and as human beings we are adaptable and we will cheer-up ourselves and continue to enjoy being in the company of our children whenever we see them. At this time I am still in the learning phase of letting go of my daughter who is a Sophomore in college.

I remember when my son use to come home almost every weekend from college and then he did not want to come home as often anymore because he had found a girlfriend and wanted to spend time with her. Because our son attended college only ninety minutes away we knew that we could easily go and look for him and he could come and see us whenever he wanted to; so even though, he seldomly came home we were comforted because of his proximity to us. Our son is now married; therefore, his first priority is to his immediate family and we fully support him in putting his family first. On the other hand, our daughter attends college over 2,000 miles away so we rely on phone calls and Skype to stay in touch with her. Because I am still in the learning phase of letting go of my daughter I believe I call her too frequently.

Recently, my daughter and I had agreed that we would Skype every Sunday and she was free to call me at anytime. For awhile I kept up well with this plan until I fell out of this agreement and started to call her more frequently again. I will have to do some self-talk and stick to this agreement once again.

My son and I do not have an agreement about calling each other. We just call each other and talk but I know his schedule and I try to call him only on his day off from work.

I am certain that in time I will not be missing my children so much and I hope that we will be able to meet at least once per year for family get together. My husband and I have tried our best to prepare them to live their own lives and we will respect whatever decisions they make. We will always love them and we will continue to cherish any moments they choose to spend with us. We are thankful for the years that we were blessed to have them with us.

 During this Holiday Season I am very thankful for the precious times that I had with my children. I am also very thankful that they have made good choices in life and have both had significant accomplishments throughout 2010. We may not be spending Christmas Day together but we will be together after Christmas and for that I am very thankful. So, to my two children I wish you a blessed Holiday Season and may all your dreams become reality. I will always love you both whether you are in or out of my presence. May you continue to depend on Jesus to guide you in all that you do and may you continue to show love and kindness to everyone that you come in contact with. May all that you set out to do be a success and may you live a long, happy, and prosperous life.

To my readers, may this Holiday Season find you in perfect peace and may your lives be richly blessed now and always.

Until the next post I leave you with this song, "Have I Told You Lately"


                     My husband Errol and I will have an enjoyable day together!

Be Blessed,

Joy

3 comments:

  1. This was very beautiful. I can see that it came from a heartfelt and emotional place. Though I do not have children, it must be very hard for you to see them grow up and subsequently, come home less often.

    But, I can see and applaud you for your self-awareness. Few people in this world are able to see when they are calling someone too much or something along those lines.

    No matter what, your children love you. And you love them. Hold on to that and I wish you a Merry Christmas, Joy!

    Love,

    Zabrinah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joy,
    You do live up to your name! I know how hard it is when your children aren't home for Christmas but... amazingly, God will bring into your life another joy...you and your husband once again before the children were in your lives. It's special too, as I'm sure you found out this Christmas day.
    many blessings to you as you travel this new and although hard, very exciting path in your life.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your positivity in life! I'm about 10,000 miles away from my parents, and we only get to see each other once or twice a year. So I totally get the feeling of joy when we are able to spend time with family.

    That's such a lovely picture of you and your husband.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR! (:
    Sanny's Head to Heart

    ReplyDelete